"Always let your conscience be your guide."
~The Blue Fairy
Grateful for Pinocchio
Funny that Matt took this picture. In every visit to Disney World, I have NEVER noticed this very statue. It is now one of my favorite things around the castle. Jiminy Cricket and Pinocchio tug at my heartstrings because my Dad will tell the story that shortly after his Mother died, (he was only 5)...his father brought him to the showing of Pinocchio in the theater I suppose to try to get his son's mind off of things. What this movie did, however, was stick this question in my Dad's head forever.
There is a part in the movie about wishes. Jiminy Cricket sings: "When You Wish Upon A Star."
My Dad, as he listened to this song leaned over and asked his Father, "If I wish upon a star, will Mom come back?" I can only imagine what my Grandfather did to try to console him and explain to him why she would not come back, even though Jiminy Cricket said your dreams will come true.
Dad told me this story when I was in my early 20's. Every time I hear When You Wish Upon A Star, I think of him being 5, and so innocently believing this. So each time we go to Disney World,
we seek out the Cricket, to get a hug, an autograph for my Dad, and a pin. I don't know why, it just seems right. I cry every time I see him in costume. And I am thankful that I have both of my parents with me today...because they are two of the best people I know. And for the record...whenever I have trouble, or get lost, or feel like I don't know what to do...I ask Dad, Mom, and then I let my conscience guide me too.
~The Blue Fairy
Grateful for Pinocchio
Funny that Matt took this picture. In every visit to Disney World, I have NEVER noticed this very statue. It is now one of my favorite things around the castle. Jiminy Cricket and Pinocchio tug at my heartstrings because my Dad will tell the story that shortly after his Mother died, (he was only 5)...his father brought him to the showing of Pinocchio in the theater I suppose to try to get his son's mind off of things. What this movie did, however, was stick this question in my Dad's head forever.
There is a part in the movie about wishes. Jiminy Cricket sings: "When You Wish Upon A Star."
My Dad, as he listened to this song leaned over and asked his Father, "If I wish upon a star, will Mom come back?" I can only imagine what my Grandfather did to try to console him and explain to him why she would not come back, even though Jiminy Cricket said your dreams will come true.
Dad told me this story when I was in my early 20's. Every time I hear When You Wish Upon A Star, I think of him being 5, and so innocently believing this. So each time we go to Disney World,
we seek out the Cricket, to get a hug, an autograph for my Dad, and a pin. I don't know why, it just seems right. I cry every time I see him in costume. And I am thankful that I have both of my parents with me today...because they are two of the best people I know. And for the record...whenever I have trouble, or get lost, or feel like I don't know what to do...I ask Dad, Mom, and then I let my conscience guide me too.

1 comment:
What a touching story! Made me cry!
Post a Comment