Thursday, February 10, 2011

Day 41


Grateful for Reno Berg


Its one of the best days of our lives today.  My Father, Reno Berg...was made Businessman of the Year by the City of Ames.  He is the President and CEO of Mainstream Living.  He picked up his family (which was not easy at all for my Mom to leave hers in Superior...) and moved to Ames.  What started out to be a small company, he has molded it into what it is today.  A place where it is possible for persons with disabilities to "Enhance Opportunities, Create Success, and Fulfill Dreams."  He has helped "Mainstream" people into our community.  Times have changed even from when I was growing up.  To be "different" was not ok.  People made fun of "retarded kids"...and they were not brought out into the community very often.  Mainstream Living does just that.  Persons with disabilities are not gross.  They are not diseased.  They are just like you and I...in a body that might not work as well as ours.
This, is not their fault.

NoneDad has done so much for Mainstream Living.  Some of you may be familiar with Aspen House, the home that was built in Somerset for five medically needy individuals who were "too old" for services anymore, and their options were to live at home or to go to a state institution. This is a state of the art facility where the waiting list is miles long. There are five beautiful, wonderful, amazing, funny, loving and friendly young adults there.  At first, I was scared to work there.  Being a nurse for 15 years for the elderly was much different than special needs.  I was scared I would hurt them, I was scared I wouldn't know what to say to them, I was scared I would not do things right.  Now, after being there for nearly four and a half years, I have gotten to know these kids like my own.  Some can't talk, some can't see.  Some have seizures, some need suctioned, need treatments to help them breathe, and oxygen constantly.  Put all of the medical stuff and the tubes, the wires, the stuff...and you will find a human beings who knows my voice, smile and laugh, and enjoy things we do. 
Sometimes its just patting them on the arm, reading them a story, or singing to them.  Other times, its taking them to Bass Pro Shops, to parades, to the library.  The next time you see someone that is different...please try not to feel uncomfortable.  My girls...and all of Grampie's grandkids...go into that house and talk to those kids like friends.  THAT'S WHAT ITS ABOUT.  THANK YOU, GRAMPIE, THANK YOU, DAD...for making Mainstream what it is today, and for making us be a part of these special people's lives.  We are blessed, you are a man to be honored today.  You know your parents are smiling down upon you...I am proud to call you my Dad...always have been, but today more than ever.


For those of you who have not seen this movie, its a good one.  I cry every time I watch this trailer.  "ALL YOU NEED IS LOVE."  Is one of the best quotes of the movie...and Dad has a love and passion for what he does, and it shows. 



No comments: