Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Day 54


Erin, Grampie, and Kailey at Reiman Gardens


Piglet sidled up to Pooh from behind.  "Pooh," he whispered,
"Yes, Piglet?"
"Nothing," said Piglet, taking Pooh's paw.
"I just wanted to be sure of you."

Grateful for being sure

Sometimes, all it takes is standing next to someone.  Sometimes, its a hand being held, or an exchange of words, or a quick glance.  Its questions being asked and answers being told.  Its listening.  Its talking.  Its everything.  All of these feelings and things wrapped into how your heart feels when you know its all ok.  I didn't have a chance to meet either of my Grandfathers.  I bet if I would have known them, they would have made me laugh, smile, and feel loved beyond belief.  That's what Grampies do.  That's what this one does, anyway.  He is wise, he is funny.  He is tender-hearted, and he is proud.
He's even been known to ask one of the eleven to pull his finger, and then laugh uncontrollably when one squeeks out.  It doesn't help that the kids think this is also VERY funny.  It encourages him.  Usually its followed rather quickly by a one Grammie a.k.a Janice saying, "Are you done yet?"
Then that is followed by a room full of kids and Grampies and Grammies laughing.  At a fart.
Thus became the famous quote, "Farts are fun."  Well, they kind of are.  Matt will disagree with me.  He sees no humor in a good one being ripped on a wooden chair, or in the bathtub by your kids...
...me...I laugh my ass off.  I wonder where I got that from?
Grampie is also the one who will go out fishing with some of the kids, and then whoever gets the first bite or nibble, be it a five year old or MYSELF..."plop"...(oh, big surprise, Grampie threw his bobber RIGHT next to mine.)  There's a name for this.  I won't say it.  But he does it.  And we let him, because he is Grampie, and that's how he rolls.
This Grampie will also sing out loud in the pauses of The Gambler...Kenny will sing, "You gotta know when to hold 'em..."  (insert Grampie yelling "Hold 'em)...and he has now set the stage for how we all sing the Gambler.
This Grampie also has been known, like Pooh, and like me...to want a little "smackrel" of something here and there.  This leads to too many smackrels. It must run in the family.  Smackrels lead to nothing good.
This Grampie...we just all like to be sure of him.  We like to be sure of Grammie.  They make us feel like our hearts are whole.  They make us know, sometimes by a look, a glance, or just a hand reaching out...that we are loved. 
(Just so we are sure.)




No comments: