Friday, April 15, 2011

Day 105

blacklung
"I always enjoy visits.  Especially visiting children.  I might be 88 years old, but I need people.  I was a pediatrician for 55 years.  I can't just be sent to a 'country club' of nursing homes and be left here.  I miss people."
~88 year old pediatrician from Blank Children's Hospital

Grateful for lunch with a pediatrician

So today at the nursing conference I was at with my co-worker, we sat down to have lunch.  Up walked an older MD, who asked if the seat was taken next to me.  I said, "No, it has your name written all over it."  He smiled and sat down.  Cute little guy.  He proceeded to begin talking.  He didn't even really introduce himself, he just started talking.  He said he didn't think the lunch was much...they get pasta all the time at the "place" where he lives.  He said its ok that he lives where he does, its like the country club of retirement homes in Des Moines.  He said after his wife died, and his son was "40 and decided it was time to run my life"...that he put me in here.
He said, don't get me wrong...its a nice place.  But, if I keeled over dead tomorrow, the housekeeper only comes once every two weeks...so he'd be pretty dead by the time anyone knew.
He said his son calls twice a day like clockwork.  He said he rarely sees him, and looks forward to dinner with him so he can eat something besides pasta.  He said he has a daughter who lives in town as well, but she never calls, she might call once a month, but she's "always busy."
He looked at us and said, "You know, who would have thought...that it would end up like this."
I miss my wife, he said.  I miss her like crazy.  He said, we met here, in Des Moines, she was a nurse.  I was a poor medical student, and I heard of this student nurse who had just had surgery, and so I decided to go check on her.  He said, I tell people that we met in bed...she was there with an iv and all...and it was magic.  We knew from that moment on, we were made for each other.  I made house calls.  I loved taking care of children.  I loved doing what I do.  I love being around people...except teenagers, they are a REAL treat. 
We laughed, he smiled.  He told us that he thought his son would follow in his footsteps and be a doctor.  His son didn't want to be gone all the time...like his Dad was.  He said his daughter, she never comes around...and his oldest daughter...died at 44 of a brain tumor.
This man, he had a lot of sadness.  He got teary eyed as he told the story.  We just sat and listened to him for well over 45 minutes.
When we were done conversing, he looked at us and said, "Promise me you will go home, and hug your family members.  Promise me you will visit your Mom and Dad OFTEN when you ship them off to a home.  Promise me that you enjoy your children."
We promised, and he smiled, and I cleared his plate, he thanked me, and we shook hands, he pulled us in for a hug, and said, "Thank you...you made my day...I just miss people."
88 years old.  I could have sat there all day long.  He had story after story.
I will never "tell" my parents what to do.  I will never "tell" my parents they need to move to a nursing home.  I will take care of my parents if they so choose.  I would not want it any other way.  They have always had time for me...and I will ALWAYS...ALWAYS...have time for them.
I don't ever want to be too busy for anyone.  Ever.
Thank you, Doctor ........for your stories today.
<3
I am glad I was so lucky to hear everything you had to say.
<3









No comments: