Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Day 113

"And I would like to thank all the little people...."

Grateful for love of school

Who knew that my kids would love school as much as they do.  The fact is, they have had wonderful experiences at St. Cecilia and at Ames Middle School to date.  Kailey found out she had strep throat on Monday, and was told that she could not return to school until Wed.  She was HEART BROKEN!  This kid lives and breathes school.  This kid is the last of my three to have Mrs. Hammer for a teacher.  Mrs. Hammer is one of the best teachers I know.  She is tenderhearted, kind, loving, and her faith speaks volumes.  She is a wonderful Mother, Grandmother, Teacher and friend.  The fond memories of Mrs. Hammer's toy sale, the readings of Little House on the Prairie...the prayers learned, the patience given.  She is one of my favorite teachers.  She is special to our family, too, because her daughter Licia and my sister Jamie were bff's growing up. 
I know that something is right when...you hear your child singing this at night:
"Dear God, I am calling...please listen...its me.
You know all about my day, from A to Z.
You know when I'm frightened, sad, or alone...
please stay close beside me...
make my heart...
your home."
This is always...always...followed by a prayer.  I listened to her prayer last night.
"Please God, let the spots on my tonsils go away so I can get back to school.  I know that Mia misses me, and I miss her.  And we got new seat assignments, and I get to be by Mia.  So please, please, make me better tomorrow.  Thanks, God.  I love ya, Man." ~Kailey
(and she really did say "I love ya, Man.")
Only her.
So maybe, just maybe, with the help of some amazing teachers, God, and who knows what else, we are doing ok as parents...cuz they seem to get that God is there.
We are grateful for Mrs. Hammer, and all of the teachers who have touched the lives of our children.  I can tell you that Kailey wanted to CALL Mrs. Hammer last night to tell her how upset she was that she had to miss school.
So, Mrs. Hammer, thank you for being an amazing woman, an amazing teacher, and for touching the hearts and souls of my girls.
We love you.
To the moon, even.
And, in the end...you can thank all of "your" little people...because, they ADORE you.
Thank you.
God Bless.

1 comment:

jamie White said...

You forgot to mention that Aunt Jamie could still rattle off Mrs. Hammer's phone number last night when Kailey wanted to call her. However, I won't tell you the number, it's one of those things...Yup, Mrs. Hammer is very special, as is Licia and the rest of her family.