Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Day 176

A train ride in Boone made my day, and I know it made my kids' day...and 5 other special kids' day as well.

Grateful for time allowed

I know it might sound crazy...but I am thankful that my place of work allows me to spend time with young adults with special needs.
I am grateful that I get to be a part of their dreams, hopes, and successes. I love that I get to have a part in the smiles they display, the sign language they communicate with, or the way they vocalize because they cannot talk.
I love that my Mom and Dad met at the Children's Home in Superior, Wisconsin...and married.
I love that my Mom trusted enough in my Dad that moving far far away from her family to take a job at a place that was new, small, and unfamiliar...and in a different state...was the right thing to do.
I love that my Dad and Mom surrounded us with people with special needs/disabilities during our entire childhood.  I cannot say that during that time (especially in high school) that I was not teased, made fun of, etc., because my Dad took care of  "retards."
It truly sucked.  I wanted to crawl into a hole...because I didn't really know at that time...that the people who make fun...they just are not lucky enough to be where my Dad is...or now, where I am, or where my kids are, or where any 11 of the grand kids are.
When my children can walk into my place of work...and sit on the floor and play trucks with someone who is non-verbal...and my kids are giggling endlessly along with him = priceless.
When my kids can ride on the Boone and Scenic Valley Railroad with me, staff, and 5 awesome young adults in wheelchairs, and my kids are smiling, laughing, as are the 5 kids for the ENTIRE 2.5 hour ride = priceless.
When my kids come into my place of work and greet each one with no fear, no judgement, nothing...and talk to them = Grampie and Grampie and all of us have done something right when everything else seems to be going wrong.
When Austin comes to my work and wants to tell "Grampie's kids" a whole bunch of stories about everything under the sun, and he pushes a wheelchair for a walk and gets stuck on a curb and loudly whispers to the consumer, "Ah...sorry....just a little bump there, but this thing is heavy with you in it....the wheelchair....not you....uh, sorry, no offense." = priceless.
When my kids come home, and ask questions about being different, and I answer them best as I can, and they come back with "God made everyone different.."
Well, that's priceless too.
I am blessed to have the family I have.
I am blessed to have parents who taught me things that I will always keep with me.
I am blessed that I get to spend time with awesome people every time I go to work.
Beauty is skin deep.
Believe it.
Didn't really learn that or believe that until I started doing what I do.
Or maybe I am just getting to the age where it's not all about "me" anymore...and more about others.  I like this age.  I like this time.
Nonetheless, I am blessed, and thank God for my job and thank God for these kids.
*and a lot proud of my father for being named businessman of the year in the City of Ames.*

No comments: