![]() |
| In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort~ The Hobbit Grateful for Bilbo Baggins The Hobbit. The RECORD...the LP...of the Hobbit...was played many times over at our childhood home of 410 Wellons Drive. We didn't have Direct TV. We didn't have Nintendo DS or the Wii, or Gameboy. We didn't have iPods. We didn't have VCR movies or DVD's. We grew up with a tv that had no remote control. We were our Mom and Dad's remote control. We had to get up and turn the knob to the channel that we had. Which mostly consisted of 5, 8, 11, and 13. We would put this record in, and lay on the couch, or on the floor with a big snuggler. (The 70's version of a snuggie.) We would listen, and our imaginations would go wild. We only had the picture on the front of the record to show us what some of the characters looked like. I especially loved the songs from the Hobbit. Especially the one about what Bilbo Baggins hates..."So carefully, carefully...with the plates." Now that we are so stuck in the technological age...that everything comes with instant satisfaction with a live streamed video, etc...I feel like the kids need to learn what we did when we were little. This fall, while we go on our trips to St. Paul every Wed., we will be listening to audio books. I think its something that the kids will learn to like...cuz the DVD player in the car at this point...they don't even really watch what's on half the time. Back to the basics...I feel like it won't be half bad. They might learn to love something new, and find that imagination within that I feel like the kids loose these days. Or, maybe I am just a dork. Which could be the case...but whatever. Gonna give the books in the car a shot. Maybe I will get The Hobbit. Just for old times sake :) |
Thursday, August 18, 2011
Day 213
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment