Monday, March 14, 2011

Day 74

Came home from work to find this on my driveway...a sure sign spring is here...

Grateful for sidewalk chalk

Perhaps one of the simplest, yet most colorful parts of childhood...sidewalk chalk.  It makes me happy.  I want to pick the chalk up whenever I can, and draw something beautiful in the driveway, or on the sidewalk...with the girls.  We have drawn many hop scotch games.  We have drawn our family, flowers, dogs, cats, you name it.  Once you get past the age of the kid wanting to EAT the chalk, it can be a calming therapy for me and the girls.  Put some in my hands, and we will have  a masterpiece...to be washed away by the next day's rain.  We plan out what to draw.  We just do it.  We are all busy at work, with the bright colors...and soon, we have a masterpiece that we are very proud of.
Tonight, I came home from work late, and I turned into my drive, and saw these bright colors.  It made me smile.
One, I knew the girls were getting along *bonus*
Two, the picture made me smile, the tree is awesome.
Three, who wouldn't love a multi-colored dress and look as smashing as this"
Four, spring is on its way, because they could spend enough time outside to draw this.
Five, I love my girls, and I am glad they so love art, as I do.
I could go on....but then as I sit here tonight, I had to kind of laugh, too.  The "Sister for sale" poem by Shel Silverstein entered my mind.  "Sister for sale!! One crying, lying, sister for sale...."






Is it karma that I was blessed with three girls and no boys?  Is it paybacks for all the shit I put Mom and Dad through? I think so.  I think Mom and Dad giggle their asses off when they see how the girls fight, etc...and then my reaction.  It's Bill Cosby all over again.  You know the "I hope you have one just like you someday...?"  Well, three fold, Mom and Dad.  Three fold.  But, I can do this.  They melted my heart today with simple sidewalk chalk, and coming in and having Rylee tell me she learned the St. Patrick's Day set dance...she was so proud.  Thanks, Allie, for teaching her. 
It was a good day.  I am blessed, and one time, at band camp, I would have sold my sister, too.  But, now, I would not want her to leave my side for the world.  Mom, Aunt Jean is with you all the time.  I don't think a sister ever leaves.  No matter what.
I love my girls.
I love sidewalk chalk, and pictures they draw.
I love Rylee's enthusiasm in irish dance, and the teacher she has who keeps her going.
I love my Mom to the moon and back...
Happy spring. 
Live is good, and for that, I am thankful.

No comments: